Helping you achieve your legal goals for Over 30 years.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration
  4.  » Student Visas

U.S. Student Visa Program

Universally, education opens the doors to better-paying jobs and increased financial security. Higher educational institutions in the United States are consistently rated among the top in the world; and our colleges, universities and vocational institutions attract students from around the globe.

According to the United States Department of Homeland Security in 2017, an estimated 1.2 million foreign students studied at U.S. higher educational institutions. For these students and others who wish to study in the U.S., certain requirements must be met and strict procedures followed.

At The Quinn Law Firm, we understand the high stakes involved when it comes to your education and future. Our firm represents individuals who wish to obtain student visas to come to the U.S. and study as well as those who are currently studying in the U.S.

Obtaining A Student Visa

There are two main types of student visas, M-1s and F-1s. Students from outside of the U.S. must apply to study at an educational institution that is included in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Foreign students are only allowed to study at SEVP-certified schools.

In addition to helping ensure that your student visa application is completed and submitted correctly, The Quinn Law Firm will help you prepare for your interview at the U.S. Embassy or consulate and help sort out any problems that may lead to a visa denial.

A lawyer can also answer and address questions and issues that may affect your ability to:

  • Enter the U.S. prior to the start of your studies
  • Work while studying in the U.S.
  • Travel abroad while studying in the U.S. on an M-1 or F-1 student visa
  • Remain in the U.S. when your studies end
  • Bring your spouse and/or minor-aged children to the U.S. under your M-1 or F-1 visa

J-1 Visas: What You Need To Know

In addition to M-1 and F-1 visas, J-1 visas enable individuals who wish to come to the U.S. to study, teach, conduct research or obtain specialized job training; to do so legally for a time frame ranging from a couple of weeks to several years.

J-1 visas are awarded to individuals who participate in what’s known as the Exchange Visitor Program. This visa program differs from M-1 and F-1 visas in that there is a strong emphasis and deliberate attempt to broker cultural appreciation and understanding. There are 15 different J-1 programs and all J-1 program participants are sponsored by a U.S.-based company, college, nonprofit or governmental entity.

Obtain The M-1, F-1 Or J-1 Visa You Need

Contact The Quinn Law Firm‘s Greensboro law office today to discuss your visa needs with an attorney. Call 877-781-8091 or contact us online.