Helping you achieve your legal goals for Over 30 years.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration
  4.  » Immigration Common Questions

Your Immigration Questions Answered

Immigration is a very complex area of law, and there is a lot of misinformation that is out there. If you have any questions regarding the immigration process, contact The Quinn Law Firm at 336-790-4178 or 877-781-8091 to speak to a knowledgeable attorney.

Below are answers to common immigration questions:

What is family-based immigration?

Family-based immigration is a visa classification that allows a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to sponsor a spouse, child or another relative living outside of the U.S. to come to the U.S. The Quinn Law Firm can assist you with your family-based petitions.

I have been notified of removal proceedings. What should I do?

If you have been placed ICE detention or are in removal proceedings, it is important to contact an attorney right away. An attorney can help you avoid deportation by exploring other alternatives such as a U visa or involuntary departure. Learn more about how to avoid removal by visiting our Deportation and Removal page.

What is the DREAM Act?

The DREAM Act is a piece of legislation that was first proposed to the Senate in 2001. It essentially provides legal permanent residency to immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children and meet certain requirements. This bill has not passed the Senate, however, some states have implemented their own version of the DREAM Act. Additionally, in 2012, the Obama administration implemented Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), which fulfills one component of the DREAM Act.

I am undocumented and living in the U.S. What options do I have if my parents brought me over here when I was a child?

If you are living in the U.S. without papers and were brought over as a child, you may qualify for deferred action relief. This will prevent you from getting deported, and it will also allow you to work in this country legally. Learn more about the requirements for deferred action by scheduling an appointment at our firm.

I keep hearing about comprehensive immigration reform. What is it and how will it help me?

Comprehensive immigration reform refers to proposed changes in U.S. immigration policy in order to improve the immigration process. These proposals typically include ways to increase the availability of legal immigration.

I have a nonimmigrant visa. How can I become a permanent resident?

Both immigrant and nonimmigrant visas may allow you to become a permanent resident through the process known as adjustment of status (AOS). This involves filling out a petition for a green card. There are several methods to adjust your status, and an experienced lawyer can help you determine which method is right for your situation.

I am a current green card holder. What steps can I take to become a U.S. citizen?

To become a U.S. citizen, you must go through the naturalization process. The citizenship and naturalization process involves filling out an application, interviewing with USCIS, passing a citizenship test and taking an oath of allegiance. We can help you prepare for the naturalization process.

To learn more about immigration law and what The Quinn Law Firm can do for you, schedule an appointment by contacting our Greensboro law firm at 336-790-4178 or toll free at 877-781-8091.