Helping you achieve your legal goals for Over 30 years.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » There is a path to get your fiancé into the country

There is a path to get your fiancé into the country

On Behalf of | Dec 19, 2022 | Firm News

Every day the world becomes smaller and smaller, and we can increasingly find love in various ways and from around the world. And, for those in North Carolina who found love internationally, the United States has a path to get your fiancé into the country legally.

The process

To get married in the United States, you will need to file a Petition for Alien Fiancé (Form I-129F), which is the first step to get your fiancé a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. This is commonly known as the 90-day fiancé visa.

The prerequisites

To qualify for the 90-day fiancé visa, your fiancé and you must intend to marry in the United States within 90 days of the moment your fiancé steps foot off the plane.

The marriage must be valid in the state where it occurs, and you both must have a bona fide intent to live together. Your marriage cannot be for the sole purpose of gaining entry into the United States or some other immigration benefit.

After the marriage

After the fiancé visa is attained, and the marriage is official, your spouse can then qualify to advance their status. Specifically, they can then qualify for lawful permanent resident status and to have a Green Card. Once they get their Green Card, they can begin working in the United States.


Of course filers do not always find the immigration process so easy and straightforward. This is why many need immigration lawyers.