The Quinn Law Firm
Call to schedule a consultation
336-790-4178Greensboro 877-781-8091Toll Free

North Carolina family immigration sometimes includes a green card

Emigration does not necessarily happen for a whole family at a single point in time. In other words, sometimes, families are separated for a time, with some members coming to the United States while others remain in their native countries. North Carolina family immigration sometimes involves an effort on the part of advocates and U.S. citizens to help promote family unity by striving to obtain a green card for a family member to permanently join his or her relatives in the United States. Depending upon the circumstances, various family members may petition for U.S. residency through another family member already residing in the United States.

A parent of a U.S. citizen over the age of 21, a child under the age of 21 and/or a spouse are among those who may petition for a green card when a family member has permanent residency status. There is a series of steps to take in the process of filing this type of petition. It might prove beneficial for those considering this process to consult with a legal professional who has experience in immigration and naturalization law.

Initially, the family member residing in the United States under a permanent status must file a form to bring the petition for a green card on behalf of a spouse, child or parent. Once the application is approved, the person desiring relocation to the United States typically receives a "Notice of Action" form. The person is then required to fill out the form and send it to the appropriate address, including a copy of the approved I-130 that his or her family member filed.

The process can be complicated and intimidating, depending upon individual circumstances. For instance, if a child under the age of 21 marries before requesting entry to the United States, he or she becomes ineligible and can no longer be listed as an immediate family member. Those in North Carolina who wish to file an I-130 on behalf of a loved one in another country, or anyone with questions or issues pertaining to family immigration, can seek answers to their questions and clarification as to what might be the best way to proceed by discussing their circumstances with an attorney in the area.

Source:, "Green Card for an Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen", Accessed on July 14, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information