The Quinn Law Firm
Call to schedule a consultation
336-790-4178Greensboro 877-781-8091Toll Free

After suffering a job-related accident, what should you do?

North Carolina has a wide variety of occupations to suit almost any worker's needs and desires. The majority of employers make every effort to provide a safe working environment in order to prevent a job-related accident. However, in spite of every precaution, at some point, you may suffer an injury or illness while on the job. Many workers may be asking what to do next.

When you suffer an injury at work, the first thing to do is report the incident to the supervisor, immediately if possible. At that point, you may be sent to an on-site medical clinic, if available. If there is no on-site care, then you will likely report to a work-related health care facility. Lacking either of these two options, seek care from your own provider or a local emergency room, depending on your particular circumstances. Be sure to inform the attending physician that the injury was incurred on the job, so that the claim can be directed to the workers' compensation program.

As soon after the accident as possible, be sure that the proper department of your company is aware of the incident; include details such as time and date of the injury and describe the circumstances. It is also required by North Carolina that you submit the information in writing within 30 days of the accident. The final step in the process is to follow all instructions that you received from the health care provider. The goal is to help you recover your health and enable you to get back to work in a timely fashion.

Following these five steps should help you recover your health after suffering a job-related accident and also allow you to receive the workers' compensation benefits to which you are entitled. There are times, however, when the system does not function as smoothly as designed. If you experience difficulty with getting a claim approved or you have questions about the process, you may benefit from seeking assistance from professional resources skilled in these matters.

Source:, "If You Have Been Injured At Work", , Sept. 19, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information