Businesses are always looking for ways to give themselves an advantage over their competitors. Unfortunately, one North Carolina restaurant's efforts to improve their facilities proved dangerous for three workers who were injured in a kitchen explosion. The exact circumstances of the workplace accident are still under investigation.
In the very early hours of a recent morning, a Cracker Barrel restaurant was badly damaged in an explosion that injured three construction workers who were completing a remodeling project. The three workers were quickly transported a local hospital to receive treatment for their injuries. Thankfully, their injuries were not life-threatening as they were eventually released from the hospital's care.
According to a fire department representative, the explosion was potentially caused by flammable vapors building up in a wall cavity. As one of the construction workers was working on an electrical outlet, the dangerous fumes ignited. At this point, fire safety and North Carolina Department of Labor officials are still looking into the causes of the explosion. They will determine whether or not unsafe working conditions contributed to the blaze that injured three people. Additionally, it has been reported that the restaurant did not have the necessary permits to be conducting the renovations. At the very least, there are definitely some questionable circumstances surrounding this incident.
In order to recover from their injuries, the three workers may need to miss some work time. In addition to lost wages, the three will have medical bills relating to the accident. Because the workers were injured while completing work-related duties, they may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits. Furthermore, the kitchen explosion may have been caused by the negligence of the restaurant owners or some party associated with the construction job. In cases like this, further investigation is necessary to understand who exactly should be held accountable for their wrongdoing.
Source: WYFF4.com, "Cracker Barrel Kitchen Explodes," Mar. 8, 2012